Saturday, November 19, 2011

Do This, You Do That, and I'll Take Care of The Rest

Strength in Counsel:
First, focus on fundamentals
Second, focus on people
Third, promote free and open expression
Fourth, participation is privilege
Fifth, lead with love

These are a few of the key points from the readings this week that I enjoyed. I enjoyed this week's lessons and discussions. These are things that I needed to hear as a single and even more so when I am married with my own family. I feel that so often, we get caught up in how "we like things to be" and don't take the time to ask others how they think things could be or should be done. I am very guilty of this, for which I am grateful that we had the discussions we did in class. I loved the diagram of the Prophet with the quorum of the twelve as well as his counselors and the discussion there. The scripture from Ephesians 4:12-13 - “But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. …But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. …And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it” 
This is how it should be in the family unit - equal opportunity for all to help, give their input, and speak up where needs be. 


I also enjoyed our discussions on women working and not spending much time at home. There were a few sensitive spots I think we touched on. It is completely accepted in our society for a woman to work full-time while "neglecting" chores or tasks or relationships that are left at home. It is hard for a woman in this time to stay at home due to dissatisfaction or comparison to those around them. They feel the need to get out into the workforce for feel more "accepted" and perhaps more useful. Women compare themselves. I think every women needs to listen or read every single talk that President Uchtdorf has ever given on women and their divine worth. Maybe then we wouldn't have that constant need to get out and work all the time. Should the work at home not suffice? This is the most important role of all. Only in situations where it is completely necessary (financial issues or other problems) should a woman go to work, leaving her divine calling at home where is is almost forgotten. 




No comments:

Post a Comment