Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Family

The thing that I enjoyed learning the most about this week was the immigration article.
Let me start with a brief clip from a fantastic movie called My Big Fat Greek WeddingWedding Scene 
This scene displays the family's desire for the soon-to-be husband to cultivate himself to their traditions. They are very staunch in their beliefs because of their ethnic background so it is hard for the family to accept this "outsider". It is hard for the family to accept their daughter's choices...this is known as acculturation. Familism is when the family is involved deeply in the sense of the individual being inextricably rooted in the family. It encompasses attitudes, behaviors, and family structures. I really enjoyed learning about immigrant family systems and how it effects them over a period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment